Recognizing the important role vaccination of health regard workers plays in a large seasonal influenza prevention method, the American Nurses Association (ANA) continues to urge every part of registered nurses to get vaccinated every year to protect themselves, their families, and the patients they serve.
The 2010-2011 influenza vaccine disposition protect in anticipation of three different influenza viruses: any one H3N2 virus, an influenza B virus and the H1N1 virus that caused widespread illness hindmost harden. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that everyone time 6 months and older get one influenza vaccine during this influenza season.
In response to last year’session H1N1 pandemic, many facilities and state governments be seized of considered stately mandatory influenza vaccination requirements for health care workers. ANA does not support of that kind policies except they be intimately related to absolute guidelines to ensure they are fair, equitable and nondiscriminatory.
“ANA believes that immunization of nurses is an important component of a broad prevention plan for seasonal influenza,” aforesaid ANA President Karen A. Daley, PhD, MPH, RN, FAAN. “However, we also penury to protect the rights of nurses to ensure that they are treated fairly and bring forth the unavoidable workplace protections.”
ANA believes preceptive seasonal influenza vaccination policies should only be implemented under these conditions:
– The directory policy comes from the highest level of authorized sway, ideally state rule
– Suitable exemptions, of the like kind as for those allergic to components of the vaccine, are included
– Discriminating against or disciplining nurses who choose not to participate is prohibited
– The policy is element of a comprehensive infection superintendence program that includes personal protective equipment, such as N95 respirators, to increase close custody
– Vaccinations are free and on these terms at convenient times and locations to foster compliance
- The employer negotiates by laborer union representatives to change any differences while the government is implemented at a hale condition care politeness
ANA’s protection of nurses’ workplace rights should not subsist confused with the message ANA is delivering to nurses: Get the seasonal influenza vaccination. To prefer vaccination, ANA is sending a alphabetic character to its members and to affiliated specialty nursing organizations encouraging immunization for seasonal influenza.
Noting that the seasonal influenza vaccination reckon for nurses and all health care workers consistently remains below 50 percent, ANA President Daley reported, “We know nurses be able to contract and convey seasonal influenza. As the most trusted protestation, we owe it to ourselves, our patients and the public to exist vaccinated and set the example we want the nation to follow.”
More information about immunization is to be turned to account through ANA’s Bringing Immunity to Every Community project. The two-year initiative, a cooperative agreement between ANA and CDC’sitting National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, focuses put on maximizing nurses’ role in increasing vaccination rates and reducing incidence of vaccine-preventable diseases.
September 09 2010 10:46 pm | Immune System